Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Blog Post #3 Peer Reviews



In my duel enrollment english class, my senior year of high school, was the first time I had to do peer reviews. I was nervous about it at first, but it ended up helping me in the class. It was helpful to see someone else's point of view on what I could have done differently to spice up my papers. I think back now and wonder, why we never tried this starting at a young age. It has positive effects, if it is done correctly. A lot of times, kids these days get offended if a teacher points out what they do wrong. They take it as they are speaking down to them or calling them out. If we turned this around and started peer reviews from a young age, and teach it the correct way, it could really help the students as the paragraphs turn into thesis papers.

I learned from the video What is Peer Editing that the three best ways to write a peer review are: Compliments, Suggestions, and Corrections. The most effective way to help your peer is to stay positive. If your peer says something in a negative way it could really effect your writing. It is important to be kind, and use constructive criticism. You always have to think about how you would want to be talked to about your work. In the slideshow Peer Editing by Adriana Zardini, I learned what to compliment about someone's work. Tell them how much you liked the topic, you liked when they used the word _____. Give specific examples. Tell them your favorite part, or what made you laugh. Be genuine with your compliments, and always end on a positive note. The video Writing Peer Reviews Top 10 Mistakes by Tim Bedly is humorous to say the least. The peer review "bozos" really show how to not give a peer review. This video would be a very effective way to show a class how to peer review, because it has amazing examples. My favorite Jean the Generalizer, as taught in the prior videos and slides it is important to be specific with your comments and suggestions. Peer reviews really teach the students how constructive criticism can help them succeed in everything they do. Every teacher and parent wants their child to succeed, and I believe peer reviews are the tool.

2 comments:

  1. Coley, I really enjoyed reading your blog today. We also did peer reviews in my dual enrollment English class. Peer reviewing scared me at first but now I find it to be rewarding and helpful. I agree that children should start peer reviewing at a young age as well. Your blog post was beautifully written and had great grammar usage

    ReplyDelete